SUP in Western Australia - Explore Shoalwater Bay
Explore the glorious Indian Ocean by stand-up paddle board and discover one of the best places to SUP in Western Australia. The Shoalwater Marine Park is located just 45 minutes south of Perth and is best known for the crystal-clear waters that surround the nearby islands; Penguin Island and Seal Island.
Due to the numerous sandbars, the area is very protected from waves or chop and with limited boats or swimmers it makes for a beautiful and calm Australian SUP spot. Shoalwater Bay is a charming sheltered area, it's relatively easy to paddle from the mainland to the islands.
The top highlight of paddle boarding Shoalwater Bay is the varied sea life you can encounter. From resident sealions to the world’s smallest penguins, it easy to see why this is one of the best locations for paddle boarding with wildlife. There is also a good chance you’ll spot some dolphins playing and swimming around the bay – so don’t forget your waterproof camera!
Penguin Island is closed to the public from early June to mid-September, for nesting season. We recommend you visit outside these dates if you have your heart set on paddle boarding out to the island and exploring at your own pace.
The route we have highlighted below, is recommended for experienced paddle boarders, however the lovely guys at West Oz Kite and SUP regularly offer guided SUP tours or paddle boarding lessons for less experienced paddlers. They also offer a stand-up paddle hire service which you can rent on an hourly rate – or simply ask if you would like to hire for longer.
- There is a large carpark area located at West Oz Kiteboarding and Stand-Up Paddle for an easy departure.
- Ensure any breeze is southerly or westerly. Do not go out in an easterly off-shore wind. You can ask at the sports store if you are unsure.
- Paddle straight across firstly to Penguin Island (approx. 20 minutes).
- Seal Island is the next island across (to the north), The paddle here can be slightly choppy in between the islands and be cautious of the few rocks in between (although very visible and easy to see).
- From Seal Island make your way back to where your launch point. if the wind blows you slightly just head to shore and walk your board back up to the carpark.
Large car park located not far from West Oz Kite and SUP shop
Places to Stay
Just down the road from the shop is Manuel Towers B&B, offering comfortable, Mediterranean style accommodation. With views overlooking the Indian Ocean you can’t go too far wrong.
There are also many reasonably priced AirBnB stays around the area of Safety Bay and Shoalwater or if you fancy a touch of luxury the Aria Apartments in Rockingham, offer quality furnishings with panoramic ocean views.
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published.
* Required fields